This is our comprehensive cleaning, resurfacing and re-plating service designed to give the best possible results for vintage shaving razors that have seen better days. By preparing the razors prior to plating and restoring them after they return, results as you see below are possible in most instances.
Our Razor REVAMPô Process - All razors are cleaned and stripped of all soap scum and original plating. All areas of the razor are then resurfaced; removing pitting, scratches and minor dents that could have formed over the years. At this time, a mechanical inspection is given to the razor to make sure it opens/closes and holds a blade properly and any needed repairs are performed. We then plate the razor in the desired material of your choice (see below) at 8 micro-inches- thicker than Gillette and nearly 3 times that of any other plating facility today for Rhodium or 24K Gold.
Before the razor is ready for you to shave with again, we clean off any residue from the plating solution and give a final buff and polish to the surfaces. Next, any specialized paint such as numbers, indicators, or color-coded tips are restored to "like-new" factory specifications. Razors are then re-assembled, sterilized in an ultrasonic cleaner, packaged with a Certificate of Revampô and will return to you in Shave-Ready condition.
With hundreds of razors successfully plated, we have a fairly good idea of what is achievable from this process. The best results come from razors made of brass or stainless steel. This includes nearly every razor from Gillette. Unfortunately we are unable to plate the following in any capacity:
- 1950's Blue / Light Super Speeds
- 1950's Black Tip Super Speeds
- 1950's Bottom Dial Fatboys
- 1960's Lady Gillette's
- 1960's/70's Black Handle Super Speeds
- 1960's/70's Super Adjustable's
The following have restrictions:
- British Gillette Razor that feature a TTO Knob / Shaft that screw up into the handle can only be done in Nickle or Rhodium
- Also, 2 or 3 piece Zinc-Alloy Pot-Metal razors (Edwin Jaggar, Muhle, Merkur, Hoffritz) can only be plated in Nickel or Chrome
Also, please keep in mind that most surface scratches, dings and dents can be either minimized or removed all together through our surface restoration, however deep pitting or other serious metal imperfections can't be removed! We take into consideration the integrity of the metal before aesthetics and sometimes corrosion, pitting or dents are just too deep to safely be removed on parts of the razor. Know that we will do our best to make your razor sparkle and shine, but are limited by what we receive from you.
- Simply select at the bottom whichever precious metal plating finish you'd like and indicate which razor model you're sending (if listed)
- "Add to Cart" this item at the top, check out and make payment
- Send us your razor along with a completed shipping form, made available for download through your account after checkout.
|Processing Your Razor||
Orders are welcome from all Domestic and International customers and are processed in a timely fashion, with typical turn-around times of 3 - 5 weeks. This service includes FREE shipment back to your address via USPS Priority Mail Small Flat-rate Box. For any more information, please contact us today.
|Why our REVAMPô is a better value than basic Replating||
Why our REVAMPô is a better value than basic Replating
- We fix 'em. As expert collectors, we're qualified to perform mechanical adjustments to make your razor function better when/if possible
- We resurface the metal. Plating alone would be like painting a hail-damaged car
- Longer lasting. We plate 2-3 Times thicker than anyone else
- Razors arrive Shave Ready. We clean, polish, lubricate, paint, test and sanitize all razors before they're sent back to you
- We stand behind our work. If you ever have an issue with your revamped razor, send it to us and we'll make things right
Rhodium Razor Plating - Rhodium is a hard white metal in the group of platinum metals. It is very resistant to corrosion and will not tarnish. It is also very reflective and has a brilliant white shine. It is a precious metal, more expensive than the more commonly known gold and platinum. Cleaning rhodium is about as easy as it comes: a simple light scrub with a soft-bristle tooth brush and dish soap should remove any soap scum that may form on the surfaces over time with normal usage. Lightly buff the metal with a dry cotton cloth when you're done rinsing it.
Gold Razor Plating- Our gold plating is hard acid gold which allows for good wear and brightness. It is applied thicker than Gillette had ever plated and should last for decades to come with normal usage. We plate exclusively in 24 Karat, the purist form of the element Au (Gold) at 99.9%. It has the highest luster of that deep and rich yellow color. Cleaning of the razor would be similar to any gold jewelry; best carried out by a professional or specialized Gold cleaning products.
Nickel Razor Plating- Nickel is a hard, white, abrasion resistant metal. As an under-plate it provides corrosion protection and helps brighten the finish. This was the most commonly used plating choice for most of the Gillette and other safety razors because it was relatively inexpensive, robust, and looks good for a very long time despite heavy usage and wear. Clean nickel with dish detergent and a soft bristle tooth brush on a regular basis to maintain a soap-scum free shine. Polish only when heavy tarnish is present with a cotton cloth and products like Flitz or MAAS.
Silver Razor Plating-
The whitest of all precious metals, silver is a classic metal choice
that has been used in safety razors for generations. It is applied
thicker than Gillette had ever plated and should last for decades to
come with normal usage. Cleaning of the razor would be similar to any
silver jewelry; best carried out by a professional or specialized Silver cleaning products.